Built, owned and operated by the higher education and research community in British Columbia, the BCNET Advanced Network provides a private, dedicated, ultra-high-speed, fibre optic infrastructure at speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second.
Advanced networks deliver cost-effective, dedicated network connectivity for research and higher education institutions, supporting research, learning and innovation.
The Advanced Network extends over 8,850 kilometers and directly connects 179 colleges, institutes, research universities, federal and provincial labs and research institution sites in British Columbia.
The BCNET Network is one of twelve territorial or provincial partners that collectively form the CANARIE Canadian National Research and Education Network (NREN). All provincial partners connect to the CANARIE national backbone to enable peers across the country and more than 100 global research and education networks.
An NREN case study conducted by BCNET discusses a new use for DNA sequencing: personalized treatment plans to help treat individuals with particular genes or inherited disorders.
Our highly qualified team works directly with members to plan a smooth and cost-effective transition to the network infrastructure. They help gather network requirements, source vendor contracts, design network architecture and develop an implementation plan.
Efficient Access to Shared IT Services
- Provides a powerful, integrated platform to cost-effectively access and share information technology services across the public, post-secondary sector in B.C.
- Accelerates easy and efficient access to IT services like virtual data centre services, cloud-based video conferencing, off-site data processing and data backup for disaster recovery
- Enables the implementation and operation of ERP and centralized administrative systems
Access to Infrastructure for Globally Collaborative Research
- Delivers essential infrastructure for participation in data-intensive research collaboration within the province, across Canada and around the world
- Provides high-speed access to advanced research computing and data storage facilities, scientific visualization technologies, resources and tools
Opening Possibilities for Network Research
- Offers network researchers an experimental test bed for the discovery of next-generation networks
Enabling Innovative Teaching and Distant Learning
- Supports the delivery of innovative distance education programs
- Accelerates the delivery of high-tech collaborative learning environments
- Facilitates the use of video conferencing for high-quality, life-like distant learning/meeting experiences
All higher education institutions, or organizations that have a research mandate are eligible for Advanced Network service in British Columbia.
To see a complete list of who's connected, please use the following link.
The Advanced Network service provides research and higher education institutions with complete access to provincial, national and international advanced research networks. We deliver 72 wavelengths at speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second, and the service opens access to an estimated 12,000 prefixes. The network speeds are limited only by the speed of an institution's port.
Local Virtual LAN
Create a private network connection between your institution and any research or higher education participant at BCNET Transit Exchange points. This service is ideal for projects that require Ethernet Layer 2 connectivity to multiple locations.
For research projects that require extremely high-bandwidth connections to other research facilities in Canada or around the world, BCNET can provide private wavelengths of 1 or 10 gigabits per second.
For institutions that require high-availability networks, the transparent Ethernet service enables the utilization of an MPLS fail-over scheme. It allows institutions to run CDP, STP, dot1q, and VLANs within their own domain. The service is available as point-to-point or multi-point and allows multiple VLANS over the same circuit.
BCNET can customize services that directly fit the requirements of an institution.
Please be sure to review the acceptable use policy.
How to purchase
For more information about purchasing, please contact Client Services.
Support & Service Requests
We provide 24/7 expert support to ensure uninterrupted, problem-free network service.
View the contract, pricing, and more.
This page is for members only. A wiki log-in is required to access this page.