We’re a small dynamic team that loves what we do, and thrive on our ability to make a difference for our higher education member community in British Columbia. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, and complete range of benefits including a defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance.
The chief information security officer (CISO) will provide leadership in developing, implementing, and maintaining BCNET’s cybersecurity strategy, guidelines, and policies. The CISO will play a key role in liaising with local, provincial, and national stakeholders (members, sector representatives, industry, and government) to ensure cybersecurity activities and projects are coordinated and executed to protect BCNET and our members. In this role, you will be a resource to our members in improving the effectiveness of their overall cybersecurity posture and endeavour to create a circle of trust. The CISO will execute the primary function by adhering to our values of collaboration, innovation and responsiveness.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
1. A cover letter is REQUIRED for your application.
2. Please describe “how your experience aligns with our Core Values” in your cover letter.
The posting will be closed at 4:00 PM (PT) on April 7, 2021.
Thank you to all candidates but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Duties and Functions:
Policy: Develop and maintain information security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures
Education and Training: Coordinate the development and delivery of education and training programs on cyber security and privacy matters
Compliance: Serve as the compliance coordinator to provincial and national groups including: CANARIE, BC Government and other groups
Incident Reporting: Review and recommend incident reporting guidelines to address security incidents at BCNET and at our member institutions
Risk Assessment: Assist in the assessment of current state and identifying gaps to inform the development of cybersecurity strategy
Expert Guidance: Provide expertise to our members to guide the development and implementation of their cybersecurity programs and initiatives
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have required documentation to work in Canada.
- Minimum of 6 years progressive experience in information security and ten years in information technology
- Experience in developing information security policies
- Experience in using information security frameworks
- Experience in performing risk assessments and gap analysis
- Experience with strategic planning for information security
- Experience in presenting to executive leadership
- Professional certification, such as Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP), is required and demonstrated knowledge of current information security policies, practices, procedures and tools
- Working knowledge of and experience in the policy and regulatory environment of information security and privacy within the public sector
- Excellent project management, written and oral communications skills
- A demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people and organizations
- Verified, current criminal record check
- University degree with concentration in computer science or other related discipline
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in post-secondary environments
- Experience with BC FIPPA
- A master’s degree with focus on information security or business
- COBIT 5 experience and/or training
- Superior communicator who values feedback and knowledge from others, and proactively shares information
- The ability to focus on agreed upon outcomes and ensures objectives are met
- Critical thinker and an inquisitive visionary who enjoys outward facing and broader perspectives
- Confident, respectful and resourceful leader with entrepreneurial spirit