We’re a small dynamic team that loves what we do, and thrive on our ability to make a difference for our higher education member community in British Columbia. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, and complete range of benefits including a defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance.
The cybersecurity analyst 1 is responsible for helping to protect BCNET by employing a range of technologies and processes to prevent, detect and manage information security threats. You will apply security best practices for assigned infrastructure, while working with BCNET, as well as use and implement tools to monitor and benchmark cybersecurity performances. The analyst will also assist in the development and planning of cybersecurity services for BCNET’s members.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A cover letter is REQUIRED for your application.
2. Please describe “how your experience aligns with your values” in your cover letter.
The posting will be closed on NOVEMBER 12, 2020.
Thank you to all candidates but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working with the manager of information technology and as a member of the IT team, you will provide first- and second-level security support and ensure cybersecurity best practices.
- Keep up to date with the latest security and technology developments
- Research/evaluate emerging cybersecurity threats and ways to manage them
- Assist in planning for disaster recovery
- Monitor for attacks, intrusions and unusual, unauthorized or illegal activity
- Test and evaluate security products
- Based on gap analysis and other testing, design new, or upgrade existing security processes
- Use advanced analytic tools to determine emerging threat patterns and vulnerabilities
- Identify potential weaknesses and implement measures, such as firewalls and encryption
- Investigate security alerts and provide incident response
- Liaise with stakeholders concerning cybersecurity issues and provide future recommendations
- Generate reports for both technical and non-technical staff and stakeholders
- Assist with the creation, maintenance and delivery of cybersecurity awareness training
- Ensure the security and integrity of BCNET servers
- Perform server or appliance installations, troubleshooting and documentation
- Implement best practices to meet approved standards, procedures for cybersecurity
- Occasionally required to provide after-hours on-call support on a rotational basis and be available off-hours to work on emergency server infrastructure problems, maintenance, or project activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Canadian citizen or have required documentation to work in Canada (please confirm in your cover letter)
- Technology diploma/degree and two years of progressive experience in Cyber Security
- ITIL Training, certification preferred
- VMware virtualization skills
- Office/Microsoft 365 PowerShell and security experience
- Understanding of AD, LDAP, Radius, DHCP, DNS
- Experience with change control processes and procedures
- Be able to monitor performance and troubleshoot security alerts
- Know the fundamentals of IT security, hardening practices, and security management tools
- CSX Cybersecurity Fundamentals or an equivalent information security certification
- Firewall experience
- Understand scripting and command-line tools such as PowerShell to administer Windows servers
- Linux bash, vi, vim and CLI common commands
- Have some understanding of Database systems (i.e. Mysql, PostgreSQL,)
- Have security skills for LAMP and IIS and other web server products Have experience in effectively presenting technical solutions to customers
- Have an SSCP Certification, CEH certification or SANS GSEC
- Windows automation tools (i.e. PowerShell, DSC) and other automation tools (i.e. Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Some experience with SIEM or similar technologies
- Familiarity with Jira, Wiki, and Confluence applications.
- Linux administration skills.
- Experience working within the higher education