We’re a small dynamic team that loves what we do, and thrive on our ability to make a difference for our higher education member community in British Columbia. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, and complete range of benefits including a defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance.
Network Specialist provides highly specialized advanced technical information, network systems expertise, including recommending network design changes and enhancements; and mentoring to the network analysis team and the broader organization. This position has overall responsibilities including designing and overseeing the continuous operation of the BCNET provincial network.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com
1. A cover letter is REQUIRED for your application.
2. Please describe “how your experience aligns with our Core Values” in your cover letter.
The posting will be closed at 4:00 PM (PT) on October 29, 2021.
Thank you to all candidates but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Duties and Functions:
- Responsible for developing a sustainable and robust data network architecture for BCNET reflecting the business needs, including ongoing operational support, monitoring, capacity planning, troubleshooting systems, service level, and availability requirements.
- Researches and analyzes network activity and problems, recommends network design changes/enhancements, and directs the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Analyzes new and emerging trends in network architecture and technologies, evaluates alternatives, participates in selections, and completes feasibility studies.
- Leads the short-term and long-term network engineering, capacity planning, and designing of network infrastructure and services to meet user requirements.
- Assesses and designs facilities for network management including software tools and procedures including service level monitoring, incident tracking mechanisms, change management, network data collection, and performance evaluation.
- Collaborates with other technical staff in short-term and long-term network engineering, designing, and planning of the BCNET network infrastructure and network services.
- Ensures the operational stability of the BCNET network by providing advanced technical expertise and analytical capabilities.
- Participates in projects and network services within BCNET and CANARIE.
- Maintains a peer technical expertise liaison with vendors, suppliers, and BCNET member organizations.
- Provides advice to senior management on network architecture advancements, and makes strategic methodology, development, and major expenditure recommendations.
- Makes presentations at local, regional, national and international conferences and workshops as well as to partner institutions.
- Maintains appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools.
- Is available during off-hours in order to assist in handling emergency network problems and planned maintenance activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline, Computer Science preferred.
- 8+ years of technical experience
- 2+ years of leadership experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years recent network design experience at a senior level in a large enterprise or service provider network.
- Advanced technical certification such as Cisco CCNP Routing and Switching, CCIE, Juniper Internet Specialist or Professional (JNCIS, JNCIP), or demonstrated equivalent.
- Deep knowledge of routing and switching (OSPF, BGP, MPLS, HSRP, VRFs, policy routing, ROADM, optical networking), network security (firewalls, IDS/IPS, SSL, VPN, IPSec), traffic engineering (QoS, IP SLA, policing, shaping), packet capture and analysis, network design (IPv6, multicast, virtual networks), and network management systems (SNMP, Intermapper, DNS, DHCP).
- Experience with automation and scripting in linux environment and working knowledge of tools and processes such as Python, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SDN, APIs, DevOps.
- A very high level of technical expertise and problem-solving abilities and must be able to effectively resolve unusual and highly complex technical problems.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and work under pressure to meet time sensitive and mission critical deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited direction.
- Ability to mentor and coach technical staff and teams, and act as a resource.