Our caching services give higher education institutions faster access to internet content, without increasing internet transit costs.
BCNET offers three caching services to improve Internet response times, performance and reliability, without increasing internet costs. The cache servers are dedicated regional servers that save previously requested web pages, or internet content pages, speeding up content delivery for users. The caching service offloads traffic bound for commercial providers to the high-speed Advanced Network resulting in less demand on internet bandwidth, better performance and lower internet transit costs for higher education institutions.
BCNET offers the Apple Caching Service to reduce internet traffic loads, improve performance and reduce Internet transit costs. With widespread use of Mac and iOS devices at institutions, internet bandwidth may be impacted when downloading content from Apple servers. The Apple Caching service stores common updates and requests to a local server helping reduce internet traffic and increase bandwidth.
- Reduces the load on commercial internet traffic when users download common iOS and OSX updates and requests
- Offloads traffic to the Advanced Network, reducing commercial internet traffic and associated costs
- Improves response times for users
- Increases reliability
Highlights of Apple Caching Service
- Local Apple cache servers offer the capability for clients to automatically download common updates from local servers in nearby locations speeding up response times.
- Servers are located close to your institution at BCNET’s province-wide Exchange Points
- Automatically stores content in local Apple cache servers after only a single user request
- Stored cache content readily available for access/download by your clients
A Google Global Cache is located at the BCNET Vancouver Exchange to serve up common Google content such as as YouTube and FaceBook quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively.
Caching services are available to higher education and research members that are connected to the BCNET Advanced Network. To see a complete list of all BCNET members, please use the following link.
How to ACCESS
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Support & Service Requests
We provide 24/7 expert support to ensure uninterrupted, problem-free network service.