BCNET is a not-for-profit organization that is governed by its Board of Directors. The Board is made up of BCNET members who are from the research and higher education community, as well as representatives from government and industry.
There are four membership categories that have weighted voting privileges at annual and special general meetings:
- Founding (currently UBC, SFU, and UVIC)
- Core (currently BCIT, TRU, and UNBC)
- Higher Education
- Research Organizations
The members appoint individuals to the BCNET Board of Directors and the Directors serve terms of one or two years. There are 22 Directors of the Board:
- 16 seats are assigned to members
- five seats are reserved for representatives from industry and government
- one seat is assigned to a Board-appointed, full-time CEO
The Board meets three times yearly and delegates responsibility to the Executive Committee that acts of their behalf. The Executive Committee consists of Directors that represent BCNET members.
The BCNET Finance, Audit and various Advisory Committees also report to the Board. These committees all have Board representation.